Monday, July 16, 2012

Channel Orange

By Gary Lee
The man of the hour, Frank Ocean, has released his debut album via Itunes, in stores yesterday and as a fan of the Odd Future singer, I have to say it is one of his best work I've heard thus far. With only 3 features on the album (John Mayor, Andre 3000 and Earl Sweatshirt; which took me by surprise), this album manged to pull me in and keep me entertained from the first track to the last, I didn't even realize I was listening to the whole thing until the end.
After coming out of the closet, Frank Ocean made history as the first "openly" bi-sexual man in hip-hop. As a fan of hip-hop and a fan of Frank's, I supported Frank and I'm glad with the way the industry took it as well. With Frank being in Odd Future and Tyler, The Creator being the front man, billed as a homophobe, the industry looked at Tyler to see how he took the news. He said that he was proud of his brother Frank. Tyler wasn't the only one proud of Frank, so was most of hip-hop such as Beyonce, Jay-Z, Diddy, Andre 3000, Russle Simmons and many more.

Now back to the album (Tyler, The Creator voice)


The "Novocane" superstar produced a classic with this album. My favorite songs are "Super Rich Kid" featuring the returning OF member Earl Sweatshirt, "Pink Matter" featuring the always verse killing Andre 3000 and "Bad Religion" which he made his TV debut and performed on Jimmy Fallon. For 55 Min's and 48 seconds I sat and heard R&B like I haven't heard since I was young, and then I realized why people respect people like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry so much. It doesn't matter how you live your life, who you are in a relationship with or who or what gender you are in the bed with when you go to sleep; what matters is the talent you have to produce. That's all this industry should be about is the music. Frank has made a great album and i respect that, that is truly #flight.

                        BUY CHANNEL ORANGE











No comments:

Post a Comment