Monday, February 10, 2014

Cilvia: Isaiah Rashad


Last week, Top Dawg Entertainment's newest member, Isaiah Rashad, released his debut project Cilvia. The 14 track EP taught us more about the rapper. Last October, I read that TDE signed a new Artist, before that anything the label released I hopped on. If ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Kendrick, or Jay-Rock released any material I was one of the first to be blasting it out of my '04 Intrepid, so when I read that they had a new artist I took to YouTube do my research. I didn't come across much but a few videos, like his TDE introduction Video "Shot You Down" which was remixed for the album and now features label mates Q and Jay-Rock. The EP also features Jean Deaux, the up and coming Artist and Director from Chicago, IL.





The video was shot in Isaiah's hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he lived with his mom and dad until his father walked out on him when he was 3. He talks about that subject a lot throughout the album, like on the track "Banana". In the second verse he says

"My daddy left me with no details Came back with a b*tch and a stepson I guess he forgot that he left somethin"



After listening to this album back to back I'm positive Isaiah could hold his own against King Kendrick and his other label mates but only them against the whole current Hip-Hop roster. Cilvia is just one of 6 projects Top Dawg Entertainment plans to release this year, with ScHoolboy Q's Oxymoron looking like a Feb 25th release and Ab-Soul announcing he's up next after Q, Cilvia will not be the only piece of work you here Isaiah Rashad on.



No comments:

Post a Comment